Battlefield Heroes is an awesome free-to-play MMO shooter from EA. It features two factions, different classes, customisable characters and a diverse range of weapons and abilities.
Getting the game up and running for the first time can be quite a pain. The game is still in beta and suffers from some bugs. This miniguide will show you how to get BF: Heroes up and running without getting put off by errors and bugs.
- Operating system: Windows XP or Windows Vista
- CPU: Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 1.0 GHz
- RAM: 512 MB (1Gb on Windows Vista)
- Video Card: 64MB DirectX compliant video card, Pixel shader 2.0 and above. (AGP and PCIe only)
- Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible
- Hard Drive space: 1Gb of space is required to install the game
- Internet connection: 256kbit Cable/DSL connection
All new players are recommended to follow the next steps to prevent future problems
- STEP 1: Make sure you’re using an up-to-date internet browser. I recommend using Firefox 3.5+
- STEP 2: Make sure your graphic card drivers are up to date (NVidia/ATi)
- STEP 3: Download CCleaner, and let it clean out your caches.
- STEP 4: If you haven’t done it yet, register an account on the BF: Heroes website
- STEP 5: On the BF:H website, log-in and click on the “PLAY NOW!”-button, load the plugin and wait for BF: Heroes to install
- STEP 6: After the game has been installed, close it. Re-install Punkbuster, following the instructions here. This solves a hell lotta problems in advance.
- STEP 7: You’re done! Go play the game! If you still encounter errors or bugs, use the troubleshooter below for solutions.
Can’t find a match
When you get timed out during the match making screen, . Go to the options screen and select
Unable to connect (error #1001/error #1002)
When you come across the error, BF:Heroes will proceed to close the game. Restart the game. If problem persists, forward the following ports in your router: 18270, 18275, 13505 and 19384 (if you don’t know how, visit portforward.com). Make sure your firewall isn’t blocking BF:Heroes.
Kicked from Punkbuster (error #22)
Battlefield Heroes comes with an old version of Punkbuster. You should update Punkbuster manually using the instructions found here.If that won’t solve your problems, try uninstalling the game in the control panel (in Vista look for Programs and Features), then reinstall it by clicking on “play now” on the BF:H site.This should fix it. If you’re still encountering problems with Punkbuster, visit the “PunkBusted?” thread on BF:H forums.
Can’t join a friend (error #)
If you’re still encountering disconnects, bugs or errors, then jump over to the Battlefield Heroes forum – they have a great topicfor troubleshooting errors.